Every good and perfect gift is from above.
~James 1:17

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hope and victory

Last Thursday, my father-in-law,Bill, fell and broke his neck. Over the last several days my husband and his siblings talked to doctors to determine the extent of the damage to his spinal cord. They discovered that he was paralyzed from the neck down, unable to move anything other than his face and neck muscles.

It was incredibly difficult for my husband and his siblings to see their dad in this condition. However, being able to see their dad and communicate their love to him was a gift the Lord gave them before taking their father home this morning. Dave's dad passed from this life to the next with his four children at his bedside.

Dave commented that the Lord has been so sweet to him and his family throughout this ordeal. How much hope we have at the end of our days when we know the Author of life, the One who has victory over death!

"O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"
ICorinthians 15:55

"How we thank God, who gives us victory over sin and death through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
ICorinthians 15:57

1 comment:

jen said...

I am so sorry to hear about Dave's dad, but like you said, a great blessing that they were all given before he passed on.

I think about all of that sometimes as I am across the country from my family. At Christmas as I was taking photos with my family, I was thinking, could this be the last time but on the other hand I was also thinking, what great memories they would be if it were.